In the decepticons ranks, leadership is given to the most cunning, paranoid, and powerful. Those traits are oozing from the design of Fanstoys City Commander, Sovereign... aka Galvatron. This figure radiates with malice and contempt. You can choose a scowl or rage for a face, and either works well, and is easily the best Fanstoys face sculpt yet. Rich tones of purple and silver, along with a hefty use of diecast makes Galvatron an imposing force to be reckoned with. Articulation is standard fare, but with the included stand and choices for accessories, the display options are endless.
Transformation is tough, but not hard. Fanstoys made Galvatron a tight mess. Several areas have little to no clearance and have no margins for error. Particularly bad is the area around the cannon attachment. My copy was extremely tight, and just when I almost wiggled part of it free, it decided to snap and shoot across the room like two missiles. Hopefully I'll be able to get replacement pieces, but if not, it still holds its shape, just disappointing it was so tight without needing to be. Other than that, he's just the typical Fanstoys transformation of folding here and tabbing there.
Cannon mode... or cybertronian mobile artillery turret... is a mixed bag. It's not as cartoon accurate as robot mode, but it's serviceable and since Galvatron's alt mode has always looked like an afterthought, its forgivable. Adjusting the arms and stabilizer allows for "aiming".
Galvatron pairs exceptionally well with Maketoys' Despotron. They both look like bruisers.
With the "incinerating purple pineapple of death" effect, Galvatron is really fun to interact with other characters and a joy to pose. He's overall a good start to 2017, and a fantastic figure if you are super careful and lucky that nothing snaps during transformation.
- Lots of diecast, spread judiciously throughout the figure.
- Decent amount of accessories.
- Pineapple blast is just fun to use for display.
- Very tight panels in transformation. Too tight.
- No adapter for canon mode with the flight stand.
- For an "ultimate" take on the character, many accessories are missing. No gun, costumes, sunglasses, doctor mask, or any of the other movie moments.
- Sticky joints require heat prior to posing, or risk damage.
- Soft plastic, handle with care.