I've never been a fan of Rodimus Prime, due to his role in Prime's death, as well as his overall annoying self-doubt and whining in season 3. I briefly had the TRU release, but returned it when scores of the figures were still breaking. I later settled for a third party release that was more manga-inspired but was a better toy. Wasn't a big deal, since I didn't have any other season 3 characters at the time. Fast forward 4 years, I have a few more season 3 characters, and the Masterpiece line has switched to full toon designs. My manga Rodimus was a square bot in a well-rounded collection. To answer my needs, Hasbro re-released Rodimus Prime, this time supposedly fixing the many issues the figure had been plagued with for 8+ years. Found a good price because of a damaged box, and decided to take the plunge and keep it this time.
Overall, he feels fairly solid. He doesn't feel as fragile as previous versions. I wouldn't be rough with him, however, because he's still got lots of thin plastic pieces holding him together. Since I'm more than happy with not transforming some of my robots, I figured Rodimus will be forever "locked" in his Rodimus form. 20 seconds and slight adjustments out of the box and voila! He is Rodimus Prime! He comes with his 7/8 altmode partsforming shell/trailer, a buzz saw and blowtorch attachment for his arm, and two guns that combine into a sniper rifle.
MP28 is the official Hotrod re-release, but I swapped that out for Fanstoys' Hoodlum. They look really good together. Actually better than the MP28 version.
DX9's Carry was my Rodimus for the last few years. Still an amazing piece, but just didn't have the aesthetic I felt I needed.
- Animation accurate sculpt. Looks great next to other 3rd Season figures.
- Fixes several horrible quality control issues (but the engineering is still flawed).
- 4 transformations for the ambitious: Hotrod, Rodimus, space sportscar, and space Winnebago.
- 8+ year old design needs a new from scratch redo.
- Very fragile. Lot of fixes were done, but he still feels like delicate china.
- Some reason, his butt is orange. Looks like he's streaking.
- Hands are atrocious. Can't hold anything well. Really needs a fix.
- Winnebago mode is basically "fold Rodimus in half and shove him inside his trailer".